Thursday, November 20, 2008

"TH" Sound

Who has trouble?

Arabic, Cambodian, Chinese, German, Hungarian, Japanese, Korean, Laotian, Polish, Russian, Spanish, Vietnamese

How to make the /th/ sound?

Put the tip of your tongue between your teeth. Air moves between the tongue and the top teeth.

Do you want a tip?

Practice in front of the mirror. Make sure your tongue goes pass your teeth. Remember to keep your tongue flat and don't let it hide behind your teeth.

Would you like to watch some videos to help you?


Video 1: Watch what your tongue must do.



Video 2: Listen and practice the /th/ sound with Jennifer.



Video 3: Listen and practice the other /th/ sound with Jennifer.



Finally, would you like to add some rhythm with these poems?

Practice the voiced /th/ with these poems. My mother was a teacher and the poems come from her collection. Poems work best if you
stress the main words. The first poem shows the words to stress.

Try this one.

This is my
mother, this is my father,
This is my
sister, and this is my brother.
Father, mother, sister, brother
Hand in hand with one another.

Try another poem.

My father doesn't want a cat and neither does my mother,
But Cook does and so do I and so does baby brother.
Mother said, "You have a dog". Father asked us whether
We really thought a cat and dog could live so close together.

No comments: