Thursday, January 8, 2009

Plastic Surgery

Plastic surgery is becoming more and more accepted, but be careful. Toronto Star recently ran an article about the rules and regulations for plastic surgery in Ontario. The present standards are so outdated, they are shocking! They are starting to change, but the government needs to do more to protect patients who undergo plastic surgery. The new laws are expected in the spring of this year.

Until we get new laws, you might be surprised by the lack of rules for medical clinics in Ontario. Did you know the government allows GPs or family doctors to perform plastic surgery in their clinics? GPs are not plastic surgeons. Moreover, they are not trained surgeons. As well, these operations are not observed by the medical board. Why would any room where operations take place not require visits by a regulating body?

Plastic surgery requires a lot of cutting and I worry some patients do not understand the health risks. Did the young Toronto mother who had liposuction surgery understand her risks? Well, I guess she will never be able to answer that question as she died following her operation. In 2007, the 32 year old woman had "23 incisions in 6 body parts in one surgical session". The Toronto family doctor had no surgical designation, yet performed cosmetic surgery.

Personally, I would like to see all plastic surgery operations done in hospitals. I think elective surgeries should be screened by an impartial counsellor. The counsellor could explain the surgery, and the expected outcomes of the surgery. In addition, the limitations, possible complications and risks could be explained. The patient needs to hear and read this information before giving permission for any operation.

I found a short documentary on two women who had plastic surgery. These women went to a foreign country to reduce the costs of their plastic surgery. I hope you enjoy it :)

1. Watch the video and answer the multiple choice questions. Don't forget to check your results.

Note: The first and second video are the same story, so you need to watch only the first video. (Unfortunely, the second video recently disappeared. I don't know why, but I added this new video above the original video. Sometimes videos get removed on the internet.)

2. Add a comment about the video. Would you do what these women did? Why or why not?





17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Each person is beautiful him/herself. The most important thing in a person is the soul not the body. You can change something in your body only in urgent cases. For example, after accidents, fires, chemical impacts, animals' bites, etc. Undergoing the plastic surgery, one can take the serious risk of damaging the body irrevocably or even death. I believe those women were just lucky to get out of that situation that easily.

Mary said...

I will not do what these women did. There are high risks on plastic surgery. I don't think it's safe for everyone.
I gained a lot of weight after labor. At first, I felt sad because I lost my beautiful shape. Most of my clothes don't fit me any more. But I try not to think about it. Still stick with healthy food, doing excercise and keeping healthy lifestyle. I prefer these healthy methods to control my weight rather than having plastic surgery.

chao said...

I won’t do those plastic surgeries. It is too dangerous to take. You will never know what kind of look you will have after the surgery. You may not become what you want to be. The worst thing is you may die. Also plastic surgery will bring some troubles on you. Your doctor may tell you that you need more surgeries because yours is unsuccessfull. Then you may spend more money to suffer more dangerous. Even your surgery is perfect, your family and friends may not like your change because that isn’t you. So I think taking an plastic surgery is crazy.

Anonymous said...

Hi Inna,
I think the soul is the most important too and any surgery should be taken very seriously.
Bonnie

Anonymous said...

Hi Mary,
I agree with you. There are risks to plastic surgery. It's also difficult to lose weight.
Putting on weight is very natural with babies. Some people call it baby fat. Eventually your body chemistry returns to normal. Your healthy lifestyle will help.

Anonymous said...

Hi Chao,
For some people plastic surgery is crazy. For others, there is a lot of pressure to stay beautiful. Many movie stars do it. Some look like they have had head transplants! Now that is crazy!

Anonymous said...

Mojgan
In my opinion, plastic surgery helps people look better when they have some thing wrong.for example;a big nose,wrinkles,lifting skin,... If they find a dexterous surgeon and so find an equipped hospital,it will be good idea. Never mind for money because it depend to their beauty.If they don't have enough money, I recommend them don't do that.

Anonymous said...

Hi Mojgan,

Well, there are many people who have plastic surgery. Let's hope they can afford it and are able to find a skilled surgeon and a safe hospital.

Hiroko said...

I wouldn’t do any plastic surgery like these women. First of all, I want to be what I am. Every time I see the celebrities on TV who had some plastic surgeries, I notice something strange in their face and body, and then, I can’t distract from those strangeness and I can’t pay attention to the show. Also, if I go to the beach resort, I’d rather enjoy the sun, beaches, and marine sports than have needless surgeries. I think the plastic surgery can be addictive. Once you have it, you can’t stop doing until you get really ugly or almost die.

xu said...

I can not accept a person who does the plastic surgery and undergo the dangers that make me become the beauty any more.Especially, after I read the artical that talk about the government didn't have the perfect standerds yet, I definitely disagree with people who do the plastic surgery. There are too risks that you need to take. I prefer the beauty comes from the nature rather than from the plastic operations. I suggest that person had better know the possiable outcomes and risks befor you have a plastic surgery.

Grace said...

I will not do the plastic surgery like these women did. Because it's very dangerous to do, you’ll never know what you looks like after you do the surgery, maybe you looks good after you do the surgery or you may look bad after you do the surgery, even to disfigure. Also it's not good for your health, you just need to eat healthy food ,do more exercise and be the way you are!

Iris said...

I do not agree with the women in the video who go for plastic surgery. There is no point to have plastic surgery to seek perfection because it is dangerous. However, I think plastic surgery can be performed on people who are disfigured during an injury. This is because they probably need to looks to find jobs, to meet new people. Especially when Ontario's law for plastic surgery is not that strict, I would not recommend people to receive plastic surgery just to want perfection.

Leena said...

I disagree with the women on doing plastic surgery because it increases the risk of damage to the body. It is changing the natural process and so it has more negative side effects than good.

Jagdipa said...

I never go to plastic surgery unless it is extremaly necessery.
it is very painful and many disadvantages. Our immunity goes down. may be we get many infections in our body.

Dhillon Karamjit said...

I didn't like the plastic surgery.I will try to avoid plastic surgery untill i would die.We have to give respect to our natural beauty.When we take a decision about plastic surgery at that time we will going to call so many types of skin problems.Sometimes after surgery our body depend on the medication.According to me that lady took awrong decision about plastic surgery because there is so many lator reactions also.So try to maintain your figure and body weight by controling on your dite and make a regular sechdule of arobic exercise.

svetlana said...

I don't recommend anybody to do what these women did. Because this operation is too dangerous for health and life. Sometimes I agree with situations when plastic surgery is necessary (deformation after accident) but not in this case.

Jancy said...

I would not say plastic surgery is bad,but there arelimitations.First of all plastic surgeries are very complicated.Secondly,you are not 100% sure the surgery is going to be easy and successful.There can be serious side effects or complications following the surgery.It has been reported that many cases of plastic surgeries were not successful and that it can lead to serious side effects.Taking into considerations cf all these difficulties,I think it is not a good idea to go for a plastic surgery unless and until it is strongly needed.